#greenbelt #epsom #hookroadarena
Hook Road Arena is between Chessington Road and Horton Lane in KT19, Epsom. A very large open space, which can be hired to accommodate public events. Parts of the area are available for informal recreation at other times.
The Arena is used annually as the site for the Firework Display organised by the 7th Epsom (Methodist) Scout Group and for other open air events and funfairs.
The information below has been extracted from Epsom & Ewell Draft Plan,
Planning for Places section, from page 113. Full details are on the link below.
Volunteers are required for leaflet drops in the area around Hook Road Arena.
Please contact email@example.com
What is the site to be allocated for?
4.76 The site is allocated for residential and sports and recreation development, comprising:
- A new sports hub for the borough to include playing pitches (grass and artificial) a new pavilion and changing facilities on 9.5ha of the site that will be retained within the Green Belt.
- At least 150 homes on the eastern part of the site that will be inset from the Green Belt.
Summary reason for allocation
4.77 This site has the potential to deliver recreational sports facilities and playing pitches. The allocation of this site will mitigate any losses of playing pitches (rugby) resulting from the allocation of site SA8 – Land adjoining Ewell East Station. It may also help to meet additional playing pitch needs for ‘secure provision’ (i.e. community use is protected through a legal agreement) both now and in the future.
4.78 The site will contribute towards meeting the need for housing in the borough.
When will the site be developed?
4.79 It expected that a planning application will be submitted early in the plan period, with development likely to start in 2027.
- LAA Reference: COU026
- Site size: 14 ha Ward: Court
- Existing use: Open Space/Events venue for car boot sales & fireworks displays
Site Constraints and Mitigation
- Any development proposal will need to incorporate mitigation relating to surface water flooding for those parts of the site that are susceptible.
Specific Infrastructure Requirements
4.80 The site could deliver playing pitches and potentially other supporting infrastructure such as changing facilities and a club house.
4.81 The site is confirmed as available.
4.82 The site is owned by the council.
4.83 As yet, no viability assessments have been undertaken by the council to develop the site for this use.