Please download the leaflet and share with your friends/families! A big thank you for the assistance from CPRE Surrey in preparing the leaflet.
GREEN BELT IN YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD IS AT RISK
– PLEASE RESPOND NOW TO EEBC’s LOCAL PLAN PUBLIC CONSULTATION
Epsom and Ewell Council has published a draft Local Plan with substantial loss of our valued Green Belt. Of the nine “preferred option” sites in the Plan, five are Green Belt sites, on which it is proposed to build 2,175 homes – over 41% of the total of 5,400 homes proposed up to 2040.
These open areas – Horton Farm (1,500 homes), the Hook Road Arena (150 homes), Priest Hill near Ewell East Station (350 homes) – are important amenities that should remain as recreational, wildlife, climate change and community resources. The Green Belt prevents urban sprawl and protects our countryside from encroachment.
1. The draft Local Plan is still based on the outdated 2014 ONS data, which is significantly overestimating the housing needs. The plan not only lacks details on how it will meet the infrastructure needs, but also will make Epsom lose its unique character forever.
2. The Central Government has recently announced further protection of Green Belt, and in May 2023 will update the national law to abandon the mandatory housing target and further clarify there is no need to review Green Belt boundaries.
3. There are alternative brownfield plans which offer more affordable homes, more central location with excellent public transport links, together with town rejuvenation and employment opportunities.
PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW! ONCE IT’S GONE, IT’S GONE FOREVER
- Please make sure you participate in the Consultation via https://www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk/local-plan, deadline 19/03/2023, respond to Q8, Q15, Q17, Q18. Alternatively email Council (email@example.com) directly.
- Visit our website https://epsomgreenbelt.org/ or scan the QR Code below for help with Consultation and FAQ, Councillor Contact Details
- Sign the petition https://www.change.org/EpsomGreenBelt
- Please share with your local groups and all social media, Whatsapp groups
- Write to your Councillors, MP, attend meetings listed on Council website
Epsom & Ewell Green Belt Group, supported by the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE)
Instagram epsomgreenbelt Twitter @epsomgreenbelt
Contact Us Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Greenbelt Sites Proposed for Housing Development in the Draft Plan
1. Hook Road Arena 150 homes
2. Horton Farm and Chantilly Way 1,525 homes
3. Sport Pitches near Ewell East Station 350 homes
Purple: West Park Hospital land 150 homes
Other Greenbelt Sites at Risk (from Sustainability Appraisal by EEBC)
4. Downs Farm 650 homes
5. South East of Epsom 550 homes
6. South of Manor Park 430 homes
7. Drift Bridge Farm 600 homes
Land North East of Reigate Road 170 homes
Langley Bottom Farm 130 homes
You must be logged in to post a comment.